R&D Mechanical Engineer
Date Posted: 08th February 2018
Location: Reading, UK
Package: Competitive base salary with attractive bonus
An exciting opportunity to put your mechanical engineering skills to support the OEM and new product development programs of a well-established, scientific instrument manufacturer.
Bentham Instruments Limited is seeking an R&D mechanical engineer to support the development of OEM and new products, from the start-up phase, through prototype to production. Playing a critical role in the early-stage development environment, you will bring excellent mechanical engineering skills with the ability to think outside the box in the solution of technical challenges.
Bentham Instruments Limited has a world-wide reputation in optics and photonics. A privately-owned company, for over 40 years, we have been at the fore-front of the development and manufacture of scientific instrumentation used to characterise sources of light, detectors and materials and for in vivo applications. Our diverse client base comprises industrial R&D, production and quality departments, universities, research establishments, hospitals and national metrology institutes. With an enviable reputation for quality and service and a global presence, we have an ambitious plan for growth.
- Design and develop high class optical scientific instrumentation from initial concept
- Ensure designs not only fulfil function but are easy to manufacture
- Present designs for review
- Ensure a smooth transition of new products into manufacturing
- Exhibit a great attitude as a team player
Experience / skills required:
- BSc or MSc in mechanical engineering
- Five years of relevant experience, preferably in opto-mechanical product design
- Experience of working in a design team, generating functioning 3D models and 2D model packs ready for manufacture and build manual packs
- Significant experience in using and producing engineering drawings
- Experience in designing high precision metalwork, sheet metal components and manufacturing
- Proven track record of generating innovative concepts that can be turned into manufacturable products
- Previous experience in ensuring a smooth transition to manufacturing, including first article inspection
- An innovative designer able to think outside the box
- Experience of liaising with suppliers
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
This is an excellent opportunity to work on the development of high quality optical instrumentation. If you find this role motivating and challenging, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.