The BPC300-C is a complete solution for the automatic characterisation of photochromic (sun-darkening) prescription contact lenses. Multiple samples can be mounted in the temperature-controlled water bath housing an automatic lens carousel, and can be analysed sequentially and automatically, resulting in machine readable files and PDF reports of the measured characteristics.
Spectral and time-resolved transmittance/optical density measurements can be performed at various temperatures in darkness and under the intense irradiation of a nominally AM2 (but highly configurable) conditioning beam, which allows darkening and fading-back kinetic studies.
Full characterisation sequences including preconditioning, faded spectral optical density measurements, darkening dynamics measurements, darkened spectral optical density measurements, fading dynamics measurements, and spectral optical density measurements after fading can all be performed sequentially on up to 6 samples without requiring user interaction.
The BPC300-C gives you control over the measurement process and environment, allowing you to develop your photochromic lens technology as required, from small-scale laboratory use to larger process-monitoring applications.
Control ambient conditions
- AM2 conditioning source with the facility to attenuate and filter the spectrum to produce multiple software-selectable conditioning beams with different characteristics
- Fully temperature controlled water bath allows measurements between 20°C and 50°C, ±0.2°C
- Precondition your samples in a standards-compliant manner
Perform detailed measurements
Spectral optical density measurements between 280nm and 780nm in darkness or under activation light
The water bath and integrating sphere allow you to make measurements independent of sample optical power
Automatic conditioning beam illuminance intensity validation
Set multiple measurements going at once
- 8 position sample carousel (6 samples, 1 clear aperture, 1 photodiode) allows the sequential measurement of up to 6 samples without user interaction.
Reference measurements are automatically performed before each measurement, with in-process monitoring to alert for issues occurring during the measurement.
The system can provide files for your laboratory information management systems (LIMS) and output a PDF report for each of your samples.
Leverage existing standards
The calculations for many photochromic spectacle standards are also available for your contact lenses:
- ISO/ EN 8980-3:2013 - "Ophthalmic optics. Uncut finished spectacle lenses. Transmittance specifications and test methods."
- ISO/ EN 12312-1:2013 - "Eye and face protection. Sunglasses and related eyewear. Sunglasses for general use."
- ANSI Z80.3: 2015 - "Non-prescription Sunglass and Fashion Eyewear Requirements."
- AS/NZS 1067-2016 - "Sunglasses and fashion spectacles."
The system calculates parameters such as luminous transmittance in faded and darkened states, photochromic response, various lens categories, colourimetric parameters, visual attenuation coefficients for red, green, blue and yellow traffic lights, and many more.
More details of the components of the BPC300-C system are available on the Configuration page.