Optical Design Engineer
Location: Reading, UK
Package: Competitive base salary, attractive bonus, life assurance
We don’t hire good people and tell them what to do, we hire good people so that they can tell us what to do. If you have experience of designing and building monochromators and other light measurement equipment then our opportunity will interest you.
Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be involved in all stages of optical system design, from concept feasibility through to full scale manufacturing. You will also be involved in the optical aspects of production processes, both improving and maintaining current processes and the introduction of new systems. This is an excellent opportunity to develop innovative products.
- Be responsible for end to end design of optical systems from concept through to manufacture.
- Take ownership of design documentation for optical systems.
- Prototyping, testing and validation of concepts and products, ensuring appropriate documentation of results and build process.
- Define and implement assembly procedures for optical systems for our Production team.
- Define and implement test procedures for optical systems for our Test and Calibrations team.
- Providing technical support to sales, marketing and production.
Experience/ skills required:
- Be educated to degree level in applied optics or Physics (optics).
- 5 years’ experience in optical component / system design.
- Experience in optical modelling concepts for the correct selection of components to achieve required module optical output.
- Zemax optical design software experience, 5 years minimum.
- Hands-on technical skills for building and testing prototype systems.
- Ability to understand, digest and disseminate complex concepts at levels appropriate for the target audience.
- Self-motivated, capable of working without supervision on own initiative and capable of motivating others.
- Works proactively as part of a team.
- Able to work under pressure, accurately and to deadlines.
- Well organised.
Light is our passion, Bentham Instruments has a world-wide reputation in optics and photonics. A privately-owned SME, for 45 years, we have been at the fore-front of the development and manufacture of scientific instrumentation used to characterise sources of light, detectors and materials. Our team comprises 20 – 25 committed people.
Our diverse client base comprises industrial R&D, production and quality departments, universities, research establishments, hospitals and national metrology institutes.
With an enviable reputation for quality and service and a global presence, we have an ambitious plan for growth that includes new products, facility expansion and additional headcount alongside improved business processes and organisational development.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.