Graduate / Junior Mechanical Design Engineer
Date Posted: 10th May 2021
Location: Reading, UK
Salary: Flexible depending on Experience
Working hours: Monday to Friday 8:30 – 16:30
24 days holiday + Bank Holidays + Pension
Bentham manufactures accurate, reliable instrumentation which is utilised in the optical characterisation of sources, detectors and materials around the world. Our aim is to drive science and industry to a brighter future, delivering market leading components and systems to streamline research, development, quality and certification.
We pride ourselves on the high standards we uphold, and the exceptional level of service that we provide. For more than 40 years, we have worked alongside customers, leveraging Bentham’s leading expertise to deliver perfectly suited systems, time after time.
The Successful candidate will be positioned within a small team of engineers reporting directly to the Lead Mechanical Design Engineer at Bentham. They will benefit from lots of hands-on experience and close mentorship from fellow engineers. Projects will range from small problem-solving projects to starting from scratch new product development with lots of opportunity to learn new skills and gain experience in a growing business.
Engineers Role and Responsibilities
- Create and maintain part, assembly, and build manual drawings using Autodesk Inventor Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Carry out feasibility studies, installation checks, reviews and calculations for each design.
- Assembly of initial prototypes to check for issues and help in problem solving.
- Define part numbers and assembly structures for input into Bills of Materials (BoM’s).
- Ensure that document control is correctly implemented and managed.
- Select, evaluate, and apply proprietary components for assemblies and systems.
- Create and complete Product Change Requests (PCR’s) and Engineering Change Notes (ECN’s).
- Liaise with internal departments such as but not limited to Sales and Production teams.
- Assist in initiating and maintaining relationships with external suppliers.
- Ensure that implemented design changes and new product designs are within budget by sending parts for quote.
Experience / Diploma
BEng in Mechanical Design Engineering or appropriate equivalent.
- Good working knowledge of a parametric CAD software (Ideally Autodesk Inventor).
- Basic understanding of design for Health and Safety and Risk assessment.
- Basic understanding of Design for Manufacture.
- Basic knowledge of both additive and subtractive manufacturing techniques.
- Basic understanding of British Standards.
- Good time management skills.
- Basic understanding of mechanical principles such as but not limited to stress / strain analysis and thermodynamics.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.