Electronics Support Engineer
Location: Reading, UK
Package: Competitive base salary, attractive bonus, life assurance
Join the Bentham team in a cross-department position with both R&D and Production duties. Build upon and use knowledge of electronic theory, testing methodology and procedures, as well as electronic engineering, to ensure Bentham continues to deliver quality products.
Production Support: Become familiar with the Bentham range of electronic devices, investigating and diagnosing problems when they arise. Determine how to address performance issues with the product. Help in repairing products in some cases.
Production Testing: Develop and maintain testing methodology and apparatus that can be used in-house to test the functionality and quality of components, circuit boards, subassemblies, and finished products and systems, identifying problems as early as possible. Implement these tests in the production line.
R&D Support: Be involved in the initial design phase of new products, identifying problems and proposing refinements. Assemble and rework prototype circuit boards with through-hole and surface mount components to allow detailed testing of new products.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Build a knowledge of our products to be able to help when things go wrong.
- Analyse and troubleshoot defects in a timely fashion.
- Understand and interpret drawings, schematics, technical manuals and instructions.
- Occasionally travel to customer locations to perform testing or repairs when needed.
Production and Testing Workflow
- Devise robust testing fixtures and methodology to perform tests suitable to the products’ features
- Run test procedures to evaluate products
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation for system testing, including maintenance of information in GitHub
- Recommend process improvements to enhance testing efficiency.
- Support the R&D team to deliver new product development projects
- Review schematics to ensure that the electrical circuits are accessible and testable
- Populate prototype PCBs for testing, rework existing PCBs for debugging and fine-tuning.
Light is our passion, Bentham Instruments has a world-wide reputation in optics and photonics. A privately-owned SME, for 45 years, we have been at the fore-front of the development and manufacture of scientific instrumentation used to characterise sources of light, detectors and materials. Our team comprises 20 – 25 committed people.
Our diverse client base comprises industrial R&D, production and quality departments, universities, research establishments, hospitals and national metrology institutes.
With an enviable reputation for quality and service and a global presence, we have an ambitious plan for growth that includes new products, facility expansion and additional headcount alongside improved business processes and organisational development.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.